Breakfast. There is an IHOP on Sunset Blvd, near Orange Drive. It's about a 5-minute walk from the Hollywood and Highland Station. You can walk south on Highland to Sunset Blvd, then walk west one block. You will need to be at the Red Line Tours office on Hollywood Boulevard, on the other side of Highland, by around 9:45 AM.
Spend the rest of the day exploring Hollywood and nearby on the StarLine Tours
(use the Red Route, departing from the Chinese Theatre courtyard). Get on the 12:30 PM bus if you can; otherwise, take the bus that leaves at 1:00PM
Fun Bus Order Link: http://LAtourist.com/HopOnHopOffTickets
Following is a simple schedule, but there are many other stops, so you could custom-design a tour to suit your interests:
- Hollywood's Rock Walk
- Arrive 1:05 PM; Depart 1:35 PM
- The entrance of Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd contains many hand print impressions of famous Rock n' Roll celebrities such as members of AC/DC, Aerosmith, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Frank Zappa, Johnny Cash, KISS, The Ramones and almost 200 more. If you are a guitar aficionado then you might want to take an extra half hour to explore the vast selection of instruments at the Guitar Center.
- You will pass by Millions of Milkshakes, a famous teen hotspot.
- Rodeo Drive
- Arrive 2:10 PM, Depart 2:40 PM
- You briefly visited Rodeo Drive yesterday - now here's the opportunity to stay as long as you like. But if you've already seen enough here, then you could skip this stop and spend more time somewhere else.
- Beverly Center (Lunch and Shopping)
- Arrive 2:55 PM, Depart 3:55 PM
- This mega-mall is a shopper's paradise, and a great place for lunch or a snack. There are other restaurants throughout Beverly Center, and a food court on the top level. If you ate a big breakfast at IHOP then you could limit this meal to a snack, and save some room for dinner in the early evening at The Grove or Farmers Market.
- Museum Row on the Miracle Mile
- Arrive 4:10 PM, Depart 6:10 PM
- Some choices:
- Petersen's Auto Museum (GoLA)
- Features more than 300,000 square feet of exhibits and lifelike displays that showcase over 150 rare and classic cars, trucks and motorcycles.
- The Auto Museum is open until 6:00 PM. It is across the street from LACMA, at the corner of Wilshire Blvd and Fairfax Ave.
- Hancock Park / LACMA / La Brea Tar Pits
- There are many free exhibits surrounding LACMA; two of them are near the bus stop: the Urban Light lamp post exhibit; and a garden filled with sculptures by Rodin.
- LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) features contemporary and modern art, and cultural art exhibits. Open until 8:00 PM
- Hancock Park contains many tar pits that you can view, along with signs bearing descriptions of the animals found within. There is the also the famous model of a Columbian mammoth family, one of which is trapped in the tar on the bottom of the Lake Pit exhibit. Be sure to explore the area near the amphitheater (behind LACMA) where you will find a prehistoric garden and a working fossil excavation. Be careful to not step in small patches of tar that are scattered around Hancock Park!
- Page Museum contains fossils that were excavated from the tar pits and other artifacts. Page Museum is open until 5:00 PM
- The Grove at Farmers Market (Dinner and Shopping)
- Arrive 6:20 PM, Depart 8:20 PM
- The Grove is an outdoor shopping district featuring high-end stores and restaurants, a theater, live performances. This is a nice place to wander around and take in the sights, sit down for a relaxing meal, or go on a shopping spree.
- The Original Farmers Market has food stands offering all sorts of cuisine. Also, there are produce stands and stores selling fresh fruit, produce, seafood, ice cream, wines, cheeses, gourmet foods, as well as gift shops that sell souvenirs.
- The last tour bus departs this stop at 8:20PM so don't get left behind!
- 8:50 PM: Bus arrives at Hollywood Blvd and Vine Street (optional end of tour).
- Get off the bus here if you want to explore the area, or take the Red Line train back to your hotel from the Hollywood and Vine station.
- 9:00 PM: Tour bus returns to Hollywood and Highland (end of tour).
- More fun near Hollywood and Highland: Ripley's Odditorium, Guinness Book of Records Museum and Hollywood Wax Museum are all open until midnight. You can buy a 3-attraction pass at Ripley's.